In camera?!

. Wednesday, February 4, 2009
  • Agregar a Technorati
  • Agregar a Del.icio.us
  • Agregar a DiggIt!
  • Agregar a Yahoo!
  • Agregar a Google
  • Agregar a Meneame
  • Agregar a Furl
  • Agregar a Reddit
  • Agregar a Magnolia
  • Agregar a Blinklist
  • Agregar a Blogmarks

We must have different definitions of what "in camera" means.

First of all, let me define for you what I feel is "in camera".
If I take a photo, and I try to pass it off as "in camera", that means to me that what you see in the image is exactly, or pretty damn close to what the sensor in my camera saw. Now with that being said, sometimes I will make minor color adjustments (white balance, saturation etc) and maybe even some minor retouching of skin. Basically, just cleaning the image up. Same way you would if were shooting film and spotting and etching prints. Nothing major. The image is still 95% what my sensor saw.

How do I NOT define in camera?
Heavily retouched. OBVIOUSLY heavily retouched. Major skin retouching, major color adjustments, little whispy things all over the place, people with glows around them. That is not "in camera".

If you're wondering, I just saw some photos that were trying to be passed off as "in camera", but they were everything but. I understand why this person would THINK that this was "in camera" ... all of the elements were photographed at the same time, and not composited in photoshop. But once you reach a certain lever of retouch, it falls far outside of "in camera".

Trying to pass that off as "in camera" is misleading. It's called integrity.

0 comments: